Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Review: Beatless by Amber L. Johnson

Beatless by Amber L. Johnson

Link to buy Beatless
Story Rating: 5 out of 5

Blurb:

Mallory Durham has been left behind and it is making her feel less like an adult and more like an afterthought. Divorce, sickness, educational aspirations being shattered, and her Aunt Sam moving into her home, have made Mal's life nearly unrecognizable to her. When Tucker Scott re-enters her life along with his band, will they offer what she needs to once again find her voice and self confidence or will it strip her of it even more? Told through the dual voices of Mallory as she navigates her new world, and Aunt Sam's letters to her niece, Beatless tells the story of two women at very different points in their life, fighting the same battles. Proving that no matter what age a person is, there are always lessons to be learned.

Review:

Beatless is a fantastic book and shouldn't be missed. First of all, I would like to explain that I could relate to Aunt Sam much more than Mallory because of my age. I loved Sam's letters to Mallory and a few of them were absolutely dead  on when explaining life to her young niece. Sam is a great character and I wished she was in the book more than she was, but I totally understand why her part was the size it was due to the story line.

Mallory is a very likable character and I felt for her and everything she was going through. The story was a little unbelievable at times but still a really good read. The story between Mallory and Tucker was part sweet love story, part musical, and part roller coaster and through the entire thing I was rooting for them.

For some reason this book reminded me of a book titled Sooner or Later which was made into a movie with then heartthrob Rex Smith in the 1980's. (I know, I know, I totally dated myself here!) I think it was the musical aspect of Beatless that made me remember Sooner or Later because the plots are completely different. But... that being said... I believe that this book would make a great movie and translate well on the big screen because of the story lines for different age groups. It would not surprise me to see this happen somewhere down the road.

Reviewed by Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment